Friday, March 11, 2011

Bookworm Alert

I know I'm not the only one that has a desingated "path" at my favorite thrifts-
I always check out the housewares/furniture section first and foremost, secondly I browse the bookshelves. I also love to spend my Saturday mornings lazily looking through library book sales to find those hidden treasures (early editions and advanced reading copies!!) I am definitely a life-long reader.
I found a copy of the novel 'Sideways' at Goodwill about a month ago. I knew Sideways was a critically acclaimed, Oscar winning movie- but had no idea that it was based on a book! I LOVE the movie, and the book was quite a trip, to say the least!


Some of my all-time favorite books have been turned into movies (and TV shows)- heres what I found in my own personal collection (I'm a life-long movie junkie too!):

(*click each image to view larger)
The Chronicles of Narnia, Fantastic Mr Fox, The Golden Compass
The Jane Austen Book Club, Shopgirl, Sex and the City
Great Expectations, Pride and Prejudice (and Zombies!!), Little Women
Rosemary's Baby, Chocolat, Atonement
The Devil Wears Prada, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Because of Winn-Dixie
Dexter, The Reader
(Not included, but taking up plenty of room on our bookshelf and dvd cabinet is the entire Harry Potter series- thanks to boyfriend!)

All of these titles come with my highest recommendations! Do you have a preference when it comes to reading the book / watching the movie first? We all know the book ends up being better than the movie 99% of the time!

4 comments:

Katie said...

i had no idea so many of those movies were books first! especially sex and the city. i've been dying to read fantastic mr. fox because i adore the movie :)

Krysten @ Why Girls Are Weird said...

I generally read the book first and then see the movie, which drives my husband NUTS because I then get mad when the movie isn't as good as the book lol.

Anonymous said...

For sure read Memoirs of A Geisha by Arthur Golden before you see the movie. Then YELL at the screen for how bad the movie is compared to the book! Also The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold is amazing. The movie is actually ok. Big tear jerker!

Lauren Leggatt said...

*happy sigh* i love the jane austen book club, it makes me fall in love with the way they talk! :) so cute